We field several calls a week from people and organizations interested in working with us. In that first contact with a potential partner, we usually run through a series of questions.
- Have you ever worked with a communications agency before?
- Do you have a clear idea why you want communications support or do you just want to see a story about yourself in the New York Times or TIME magazine?
- Do you understand what it means to create foundational materials and messages before attempting to do any work?
- What is the level of commitment you expect to make with research?
- What does communications mean to you? What about public relations or public affairs? What about digital media?
- Are you willing to hear about new methods of communicating with your audiences?
- Will we have access to the decision maker(s) or will we only be working with the middle manager?
- Is the budget realistic? Do you have sky-high expectations but are willing only to pay a minimalist budget to get the work accomplished?
- Do you value communication and understand what it can do for your bottom line?
- Where do you want to be in five years?
- What is your short term goal for success?